Friday, February 08, 2008

Music: Your song makes no sense

So I've heard Point of Grace's "How You Live" on the radio. It doesn't make any sense. The refrain says "It's not who you knew, it's not what you did, it's how you live".

Now, from the Christian perspective, it is who you know (Jesus Christ) and how you live. But putting that aside for a moment, the song just doesn't make sense. "It's not what you did, it's how you live." Somehow, the manner of your living is separable from what you did in your life?

The song suggests a bunch of things to do, like "give to the needy, pray for the grieving, ... think of your fellow man". Those sound like things you do. And how you live. The song's refrain is suffering from multiple personality disorder: it's self-contradictory clap-trap, and it makes me not want to listen to Christian radio. I really wish the Catholic station came in up here -- I need to be driving south on I-295 for it to come in.

No comments: