Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Homily on avoiding hypocrisy

Last night, I attended Mass at a local chapel. The priest, in his homily, spoke of being slow to judge others lest we fall into hypocrisy, using the words of Christ: "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye." (Luke 6:42)

That, only a matter of hours after I had written about hypocrisy. And, I am sad to admit, mere minutes after I had silently judged the people sitting near me who were wearing far more casual clothing than I was. I have great zeal and fervor for the liturgy, for reverence in the liturgy... and that, I am afraid, is where Satan is all too eager to strike at me. And he is successful too often.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Yes, but you are not alone. Many of us struggle with the same thing. At least you have been given the discernment to see it.