- Didache 14 - "But every Lord's day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. [...] For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice."
- Cyprian, Treatise 12, I:16 - "That the ancient sacrifice should be made void, and a new one should be celebrated"
- Augustine, Letter 93:20 - "against all your brethren that are found among all nations, to whom the prophets, and Christ, and the apostles bear witness in the words of Scripture"
- Augustine, Letter 185:5 - "the Church spread abroad throughout the world"
- Lactantius, Epitome of the Divine Institutes 48 - "Of the Disinheriting of the Jews, and the Adoption of the Gentiles"
- Augustine, Answer to Petilian the Donatist 191 - "that living sacrifice of which it is said, 'Offer unto God thanksgiving'"
- Irenaeus, Against Heresies IV:17:5 - "the new oblation of the new covenant; which the Church receiving from the apostles, offers to God throughout all the world, [...] concerning which Malachi, among the twelve prophets, thus spoke beforehand [...] indicating in the plainest manner [...] that in every place sacrifice shall be offered to Him"
- Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho 41 - "He then speaks of those Gentiles, namely us, who in every place offer sacrifices to Him, i.e., the bread of the Eucharist, and also the cup of the Eucharist"
- Justin Martyr Dialogue with Trypho 117 - "the Eucharist of the bread and the cup, and which are presented by Christians in all places throughout the world"
- Athanasius, Letter 4:4 - "Now He willed it to be in every place"
- Athanasius, Letter 11:11 - "when the whole Catholic Church which is in every place"
- Irenaeus, Fragment 37 - "the Lord instituted a new oblation in the new covenant"
- Augustine, Tractates on John 35:7 - "Thou dost not come, O Jew, to a pure sacrifice"
- Augustine, City of God XVIII:35 - "Since we can already see this sacrifice offered to God in every place, from the rising of the sun to his going down"
- Tertullian, Against Marcion IV:1 - "Forasmuch then as he said, that from the Creator there would come other laws, and other words, and new dispensations of covenants, indicating also that the very sacrifices were to receive higher offices, and that among all nations"
- Lactantius, Divine Institutes IV:11 - "that He might transfer the sacred religion of God to the Gentiles"
- Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 18:25 - "the Churches of Christ are increased over all the world"
- John of Damascus, Exposition of the Orthodox Faith IV:13 - "This surely is that pure and bloodless sacrifice which the Lord through the prophet said is offered to Him from the rising to the setting of the sun"
- Tertullian, Against Marcion III:22 - "Now, inasmuch as all these things are also found among you, and the sign upon the forehead, and the sacraments of the church, and the offerings of the pure sacrifice"
- Apostolic Constitutions VI:XXIII - "Instead of a bloody sacrifice, He has appointed that reasonable and unbloody mystical one of His body and blood, which is performed to represent the death of the Lord by symbols. Instead of the divine service confined to one place, He has commanded and appointed that He should be glorified from sunrising to sunsetting in every place of His dominion."
- Apostolic Constitutions VII:XXX - "On the day of the resurrection of the Lord, that is, the Lord's day, assemble yourselves together, without fail, giving thanks to God, and praising Him for those mercies God has bestowed upon you through Christ, and has delivered you from ignorance, error, and bondage, that your sacrifice may be unspotted, and acceptable to God, who has said concerning His universal Church"
Monday, October 03, 2011
Malachi 1:11 in Patristic literature
at 12:58 PM
|Was this post...|