Friday, July 11, 2008

Scripture: "Called to Lead"

This Friday and Saturday, I'm at my diocesan center attending the "Called to Lead" Bible Study leader formation conference. It's geared towards the "Great Adventure" Bible Study series (such as the Bible Timeline). The first day of the conference was, well, great! There are some excellent speakers here, like Jeff Cavins, Dr. Tim Gray, and Dr. Ted Sri. I've seen Dr. Sri on EWTN's "The Abundant Life", talking about the connections between Mass and Scripture; I've also got a book (Catholic for a Reason III) which has one chapter written by him: a biblical walk-through of the Mass. And he's giving a talk on that same topic tomorrow morning. Scriptural liturgy is my passion, if you couldn't tell.

This is a thoroughly Catholic Bible Study conference. Each session begins and ends with prayer in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and often requesting the intercession of our Blessed Mother. We are learning how to work with small groups, how to approach Scripture from a Catholic perspective and with a Catholic interpretation, and we're being energized to bring this into our parishes and renew Catholic fervor for Sacred Scripture. Imagine hearing someone say "Wow! You know Scripture really well... you must be Catholic!"

I'll be posting my copious notes soon. But for now, I need sleep... there's a full day of sessions tomorrow.

No comments: